Saturday 2011-06-18 Old Rhinebeck via Kingston (20N) Fly-Out Briefing
As of: 2127 LCL, THU 16 JUN 2011
- Direct 140nm: Sectional, IFR Low Enroute
- DUATS Low Auto Route 142nm (map): ORDMO V58 LHY V106 WEETS
- Rhinebeck ticket prices: $20 adults, $8 teens, $5 ages 5–12, free under 5
- Fly-out captain: Geoff Knauth, 570-220-5744
Please fill out the online survey if you are coming so we can make the best possible plan for your transportation needs between Kingston and Old Rhinebeck. We are renting a minivan from Enterprise. It is also possible to go by Rhinebeck taxi ($25 each way, 845-876-2010). Also, we want to know your food preference (see Food options below).
- Plan to arrive at Kingston by 1100 EDT. (Michael, after stopping to pick up Ray Collins, will arrive between 1100–1115.) Depending on whether you're coming from IPT or LHV, what plane you're flying, and the effects of wind, the trip will take anywhere from 35–90 min. 93R will still be leaving IPT around 0900, mainly because I have to make sure everything's OK with the van we're renting. The 140nm trip east usually takes me a little more than an hour in a C172.
- Kingston airport 20N Rwy 33: coming over the river, you cross over a highway spanning the Hudson on short final; the bridge makes quite an impression. In this picture, you can see why [houses] they prefer you arrive Rwy 33 and depart Rwy 15, and not do run-ups at the approach end of Rwy 15. In this picture taken on short final to Rwy 33, you can see how the bridge (now off to your right) and the highway tend to grab your attention as you get closer to the airport. More photos: looking east, short final Rwy 15
- Food options: 1130 sit-down lunch at Savona's Trattoria, or 1230 food stand at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Most of us have already opted for the restaurant.
- Minivan shuttle or taxi across the Hudson River to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, depending on what you signed up for. The cost of the van is $120 divided by the number of people who go by van. Geoffrey's sister Dorcinda will also be able to transport some passengers.
- WWI & Barnstorming-Era Airshow 1400-1600 EDT
- Drive back across the Hudson to Kingston (20N)
- Fly back to Williamsport
- If you want to pay a courtesy visit and refuel at Wyoming Valley (WBW) on the way back, the flight 20N-WBW is 245°T/94nm and the flight WBW-IPT is 266°T/48nm.
- Photos from my 2006-06-17 visit to Old Rhinebeck
- Article my brother Dietrich wrote about Old Rhinebeck on the occasion of its 50th anniversary in 2009
- There was a crash of a warbird into the Hudson very close to Kingston on 26FEB2011. A local photographer, Paul Smyres, speculated about the incident. His account was useful in providing some of the Kingston pictures linked to in this briefing. See the NTSB Preliminary Report. Bottom line: Let's be safe!